11 September 2016

bargain LEGO books

LEGO Minifigure Year by Year A Visual History
LEGO Minifigure Year by Year A Visual History

Putting together LEGO and books is a perfect combination. But when you add bargain to the equation, SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!!!

I mentioned in one of my earlier posts that, for me, the United Kingdom is a LEGO paradise. But it's not only the AFOL in me who's in bliss, but also the bibliophile. It's such a wonder to be in a place full of people who loves books. Anywhere you go, there's almost always someone who's immersed in a good book. At the bus stop. In the train. On the park bench. Since there's a huge demand, there's also a huge supply. But sometimes, the economic scale would tip to the surplus side. And we all know what that means, bargains! But it's only a good deal if you can find it in time.

I found the LEGO Minifigure Year by Year A Visual History in T.K. Maxx (T.J. Maxx in the US) for only £9.99 (RRP £25)! But the cheapest price that I found is a teeny £5 in The Book People! Unfortunately, the book is currently sold out in both stores. (Check out their other products in www.tkmaxx.com and www.thebookpeople.co.uk).

LEGO Minifigures Character Encyclopedia
LEGO Minifigures Character Encyclopedia

Still at T.K. Maxx, I discovered the LEGO Minifigures Character Encyclopedia for only £3.99 (RRP £14.99)! It's not in the website though. I'm not quite sure but I think T.K. Maxx has more products in-store than online. Other LEGO books available when I visited my local branch are LEGO Star Wars: The Yoda Chronicles for £6.99 (RRP £14.99), and LEGO Star Wars Brickmaster Battle for the Stolen Crystals for £9.99 (RRP £19.99). I just don't know if they will still be there on my next visit. There's a huge ominous sign in the store that reads here today, gone tomorrow!

LEGO I Love That Minifigure
LEGO I Love That Minifigure

Another store that has great book deals is The Works (www.theworks.co.uk). There, I was able to score LEGO I Love That Minifigure for £5 (RRP £14.99). There are a lot more LEGO books (about LEGO Ideas, Chima, etc.) in my local shop but I wasn't able to note their prices.

Nexo Power Rules
Nexo Power Rules

WHSmith (www.whsmith.co.uk) has lovely book deals as well. I bought my copy of Nexo Power Rules online for £3.49 (RRP £6.99) and collected it in-store for free! As of writing, WHSmith has a promotion on the new LEGO Annuals (RRP £7.99) with buy one get the other one for £1. I want the Star Wars one with the Ezra and C1-10P (Chopper) minifigures.

But if you're going to compute it, the 2017 LEGO Annuals are actually cheaper in Argos (www.argos.co.uk) for only £3.99 each!

LEGO Star Wars Annual 2016
LEGO Star Wars Annual 2016

Or maybe I could wait until next year and buy an annual in Poundland for just, well, £1! But I don't think with those sweet minifigures (in contrast with the free white bricks above), the 2017 LEGO Annuals will still be available next year, and for that low low price.

But what exactly are annuals? In the United Kingdom, annuals are published shortly before the end of each year, and are aimed at the Christmas market. They are generally large hardcover books centered on sports, toys, celebrities, films, TV series, and so on, featuring various contents like text articles, comics, puzzles, etc. (See? Book heaven!).

Supermarket chains like Sainsbury's (www.sainsburys.co.uk) also offers some great book deals. I don't really get it but some of the books there, even the recently released, are sold for only half the price! I got my LEGO Star Wars: Space Adventures there for only £3.49 (RRP £6.99).

LEGO Star Wars: Space Adventures
LEGO Star Wars: Space Adventures

And don't get me started on Amazon and eBay. Their domains are too vast to discuss...

There's always a good book deal somewhere. You just need to know where to find one. A big help in doing so is HotUKDeals (www.hotukdeals.com), a community for deal seekers, finding and sharing the best deals, promotional codes, and vouchers from on and off the web (I lifted that from their About section, hehe).

The prices mentioned above definitely are subject to change. Deals change every time. Some deals are even only good for a few minutes. And some deals are just wild goose chases. I just wanted to share my hauls and how I got them for only the fraction of their original prices. LEGO is an expensive hobby so it's often better to cut cost and shop smartly. Happy hunting!

No comments:

Post a Comment